Student Catalog
Girl with smile

Federal Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants help fund post-secondary education for undergraduate students who have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree. The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. 

Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. For many students, these grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which aid from other sources may be added.

Pell Grand-eligible students who have Title IV funds awarded in excess of school charges are eligible for a refund. (Effective July 1, 2016, all students awarded Title IV funds in excess of school charges are eligible for a refund.) The refund should be made by the seventh day of class to obtain books and supplies. HCN meets this requirement by refunding the students his or her Title IV credit balance by the seventh day of class.

If a student has not yet established eligibility to receive Title IV funds because of outstanding verification requirements, or unresolved conflicting information, etc., this requirement does not apply. For further information, contact [email protected].  


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

FSEOG provides supplemental funds to students with exceptional need, with priority given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. To be eligible for FSEOG, students must be enrolled in an undergraduate program and have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree or first professional degree. Exceptional need is defined as the lowest EFC and remaining need per federal-need-analysis methodology. Because FSEOG funds are limited, students should apply for these grants by completing their FAFSA® as early as possible. FSEOG awards range from $480 to $900 per academic year.