1. What is the federal code?
    A code number identifies every college and university that receives federal funds. The federal code number for Hondros College of Nursing is 040743.
  2. What does FAFSA mean?
    FAFSA is an acronym for Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  There is no fee for this process and it is required in order to receive any type of federal financial aid.  Please use this link to access the web site http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
  3. Is this my final award?
    Financial aid awards are based on information provided on the FAFSA.  These awards are final unless new or additional information is provided.  
  4. What is verification and why was I chosen?
    Verification is the process through which a school verifies certain information entered on the FAFSA application by the student and/or their parents.  Information which is usually verified includes, but is not limited to, household size, income information, SNAP benefits, high school completion, and child support received or paid.  The Department of Education selects students for verification during the FAFSA application process, and the school is notified when they receive a student file.  Hondros College of Nursing notifies students that they have been selected during the over view process, through email, and by phone.  The financial aid representative will include any documents that need to be provided or fill out at these times.  It is important to turn in any documentation needed as soon as possible, but within 30 days to avoid losing award eligibility.  Hondros College of Nursing also recommends that all students and parents use the Data Retrieval option when filling out the FAFSA.
  5. Why do you need our tax transcripts?
    A tax transcript is required by the Department of Education for students and parents that did not use the Data Retrieval Service to verify income.  Students may make corrections to their FAFSA application, so the first attempt should be to use the Data Retrieval option on the FAFSA, if this is unsuccessful, a tax transcript can be ordered through the IRS at the following website: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript  or by calling 1-800-908-9946. Students that are victims of Identity Theft will need to request a TRDBV (Tax Return DataBase View).  Please call 1-800-908-4490 to request this document from the IRS.
  6. What is UEH?

    UEH stands for Unusual Enrollment History. The U.S. Department of Education has established regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Student Aid program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education, this must be resolved before you will be eligible to receive financial aid.

    Definition of UEH
    The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant and/or Federal Loans at multiple institutions during the past four academic years.  Once the Department of Education indicates that a student has an unusual enrollment history, the Office of Student Financial Aid must review the academic history prior to determining federal financial aid eligibility for that student.

    Students with an unusual enrollment history will have one of the following UEH flags and C codes on their ISIRs (Institutional Student Information Records), which is the school version of the SAR (Student Aid Report) issued by the Department of Education upon completion of the processing of your FAFSA.

     UEH Flag Value C Code Comment Code Flag Description School Action to Resolve Flag 
    NNoNoneEnrollment pattern not unusualNo school action required
    2Yes359Possible enrollment pattern problemSchool must review enrollment/academic and financial aid records for past four years
    3Yes360Questionable enrollment patternSchool must review enrollment/academic and financial aid records for past for award years

    Appeal Process and What Will be Required of You
    If selected, you will be notified of the requirements associated with the process. You are required to have earned academic credit at every institution where you received a Federal Pell grant or Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan while attending in those relevant academic years.

    Our office will review your Unusual Enrollment History Form and your financial aid history at all previous institutions that you attended during the last four financial aid years (please ensure we have received all official/unofficial transcripts for those schools) and verify that academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant years.  If you failed to earn academic credit at any institution where you received a federal Pell grant or Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan during the relevant award years, you will need to provide a statement explaining the circumstance for credit not earned along with any relevant documentation using the Unusual Enrollment History Form.

    The results of the appeal will be emailed to your Hondros College of Nursing email account (or personal email account from your FAFSA if you do not have a college email account). These decisions are final and are not appealable to the Department of Education.  

    Regaining Federal Student Aid Eligibility
    Students that have been denied federal student aid based on an Unusual Enrollment History Appeal have the ability to regain financial aid eligibility by successfully completing one quarter at Hondros College of Nursing with a 2.0 or better GPA.  Upon successful completion of one quarter, you may submit another Unusual Enrollment Appeal.

  7. Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?
    Yes, you do need to apply for financial aid every year.  The FAFSA application is available beginning October 1st of every year.  It is best to use the Data Retrieval Tool to import your tax information.  You can now fill out the FAFSA on your phone!  Download the MyStudentAid app or visit fafsa.gov and the FAFSA form on the go. 
  8. Why did my Pell grant change?
    There are many reasons a Pell award could change.  For example a student’s EFC, which drives need based aid, will change from one financial aid year to the next.  Major changes in income and household size can contribute to the increase or loss of Pell.  Student may also lose Pell funding due to the number of credit hours they are taking.  In order to receive full Pell awards a student needs to be attending at least 12 credit hours, dropping below this will lead to a proration of your Pell funding.  Students may also lose Pell eligibility due to reaching their Pell Lifetime limit of 600%. 
  9. Why did I lose my Pell Grant?
    Pell funding is based on need, and need is determined by your EFC. The EFC is calculated on the FAFSA application. There are some items that will directly affect your EFC, such as adjusted gross income (there are many others). Any dramatic change from one year to another can affect the EFC.
  10. How do I know how much I owe?
    The cost to your family is determined by subtracting the grants, scholarships and loan funds the student has been awarded from the direct costs. Students also have access to the Student Portal in CAMS. Through this portal, students have access to their ledger, which allows students to review their debits, credits and balances, as well as accepting or declining Federal Financial Aid. 
  11. What can I do if I don't have enough money to pay my bill or if my parents won't help me?
    Schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Office. It is important to resolve any financial problems before the academic year begins.
  12. What happens if family circumstances change after I file the FAFSA?
    Changes in family circumstances can change your eligibility for aid. You should schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to review your circumstances as soon as possible.
  13. What happens if I drop all my courses?
    Financial aid is subject to federal refund calculations when students drop all their courses for the academic term or withdraw from Hondros College of Nursing. This process is formula driven and is unique to each student.


Voter Registration
Voter registration forms are available at http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/publications.aspx#vrf.

Selective Service Registration
Male students who are 18 years old must be registered with selective service to receive federal aid. Registration forms are available at any post office or you may register online at http://nursing.hondros.edu/FinancialAid/FAQ.aspx#1